Cannot Rate Thread 7 replies 283 views
HIGHLIGHTED POST:
Post # 1
Ruler of the Forum
Super Administrator
Pronouns: he/him
Gold: 741
Did memes ruin the internet?

So recently I've been doing a lot of internet archaeology (which obviously resulted in this forum, most notably the archive), and one thing I've noticed is how much less humor-centric online discussions were prior to some point in time that began what I call the "meme era". (We are still in the meme era, in case that isn't obvious.)

Not only did discussions become humor-centric all of a sudden, but the quality of the humor became very cliquey and inside-jokey. Memes quickly evolved to emphasize callback-humor, where simply saying "i c wat u did thar" was a joke in and of itself, simply because so many people had repeated variations on that phrase. The joke only works in a specific time and place. Break into some obscure Japanese message board, and it's unlikely that anyone will get the joke. Post it in 2022, and no one will get the joke. They'll just think you're uneducated and/or slow.

I also think that memes came hand-in-hand with an increase in political involvement by average people. Suddenly, posting a funny meme about a politician is a way for people to participate in this great world democracy (without actually doing any voting or protesting). Slacktivism, they eventually named it. But I don't think people realize how much of internet humor became politics-based. This ties into the inside-jokeyness (jokes that only a select audience understands) of memes in general. People seem to get delight from sharing and receiving memes that are highly focused on them in some way. If a meme somehow pokes fun at the other side of the political aisle (in as much as there are truly only two sides, something I don't believe in, but am willing to make believe for the purposes of this argument), that sets up an immediate in-group dynamic, and makes the meme more appealing.

Okay I got a bit off-track there. Point is, memes took over everything, and that changed the internet fundamentally. I think this is part of why forums have died (certainly not a primary reason, of which there are several, but a lesser reason). Forums are not good vehicles for memes. In fact they're almost perfectly AWFUL vehicles for memes. There's no voting system, so funny things cannot rise to the top, they're left in sort order with everything else, to be discovered only if you take the time to read every page. The fact of the matter is, 90% of memes are stupid and even the average person won't like to be subjected to a thread full of them. Only through crowdsourced curation of some kind (of which a voting system is the simplest form) can memes work. Also, forums have no threading, so discussions cannot easily fragment into well-trod paths. To explain what I mean by that, imagine a thread about low water levels in the American western states. Eventually someone will bring up how it's so-and-so politician's fault that we don't have enough water. In a normal forum, people will get annoyed that the discussion has (once again) turned to petty politics. But in a threaded system (such as reddit, hacker news, etc.), these discussions are easily ignored. But there is where memes thrive. By derailing to a common topic of discussion, mass-produced memes can be used.

I, for one, greatly miss the old internet. My original goal for bringing back Chrono Shock was to re-live some nostalgic memories and reconnect with some old personalities I missed talking to. But I'm realizing that what I really want to do is try to move the dial back away from the memeization of the internet, and foster deeper discussions in general. Everyone is trying to make a difference in the world, and try as I might to ignore the world, I find myself following the siren's call of world betterment myself at times. It's fun to delude yourself into thinking you CAN make a difference, and I'm honestly letting that feeling get the better of me, and seeing where it leads. At the very least, I'll have a lot of posts like this to read in my old age, and I can laugh at how stupid I was.
NEW POST Post # 2
The Nu formerly known as Belthasar
Gold: 79
I definitely see what you're saying. I read a book called "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman. Kind of "Brave New World" analysis of how communication has gotten so fast that we have nothing left to say, so we just say stupid shit. His focus was the transitions from telegraph to TV, but I think a lot of what he said applies to the meme era, too (It's also been a decade since I read it, so I don't remember all of it). I think that's a lot of what memes are. People who have nothing to say, but have to say something anyway. The modern political/social climate has only made it worse. So maybe I wouldn't say memes ruined the internet, but the reason memes took over ruined the internet. I largely stay out of political discussion not because I don't care, but because it's been years since I was in a political discussion that didn't turn into name-calling and screaming. It's not worth my time unless all parties are willing to put some effort into the actual discussion. And that siren's call to better the world is sometimes more dangerous.
HIGHLIGHTED POST:
NEW POST Post # 3

Post deleted.
HIGHLIGHTED POST:
NEW POST Post # 4
Ruler of the Forum
Super Administrator
To follow up on what I said about the decline of forums: It wasn't a natural evolution of the internet. It was partly an engineered collapse to enrich the few companies selling forum software.

I was speaking with a friend and asked if he still ran a forum. He said "No, I got sick of putting all of my posts in one place and then having them disappear one fine day". I understand what he means, this is 100% the reality of running a forum. You put effort into putting your thoughts to words, and then one day the forum crashes (Dicetomato's Chrono Shock, at least 3 times over the course of its life), or the forum becomes unreadable due to "improvements" and greedy monetization strategies (My old Chrono Shock over here), or your forum is attacked by spambots (because you cheaped out on anti-spam filtering) or you find that you're spending $50/month on something for eternity, just to keep your old posts alive, and decide to let it go.

Platforms like Reddit aren't much better. Your posts are now held hostage in a user-hostile GUI, designed to surface top-rated content (memes) and discourage long-form posts and in-depth discussion. Really. Reddit (the company) isn't even known to be profitable. They are cutting costs in an effort to become profitable, and hosting lots of content is a burden on them. It's much easier to subtly guide people to the most recent content. Digging up old articles and posts is literally more expensive.

While doing my archaeology, I have found so many forums full of interesting content that is just... gone now. It's tragic.

Anyway, this post has become a catch-all for additional thoughts that should have been injected into my above post somehow, so I'll leave with this: I also believe that forums can be brought back by trying to remain small, like the small internet. Rather than seeking engagement for engagement's sake, let people who want deeper discussion find us.
Ruler of the Forum
Super Administrator
Quote, by nu:
Amusing Ourselves to Death

Oh, I've heard of that one. I need to read it now...

Quote, by nu:
People who have nothing to say, but have to say something anyway

Yeah, I people want to participate, but don't want to do any work. So you get needless amplification and "here here" cheering.

Quote, by nu:
So maybe I wouldn't say memes ruined the internet, but the reason memes took over ruined the internet

Yeah, I can see that. It's true that politics has gotten crazier in our lifetime, so perhaps memes are the logical evolution of discussion in that climate.

Quote, by nu:
And that siren's call to better the world is sometimes more dangerous

It so is. But don't worry, I won't become a final fantasy villain.

(Also, not sure what's going on, but I see your post 4 times, so another bug for me to fix! Yay!)
NEW POST Post # 6
Crazy mouse lady
Gold: 173
To put my input (lol) mostly all the internet is now is frigging memes and sex. For the record, I love having serious conversations rather than all the mindlessness all the time. I cringe at the fact I used to talk in third person. Also, I have to say I don't think politics have gotten any crazier but we know so much bloody more now. We mighta been happier without all the information if ignorant.
Edited by MajuuNazumi, at

cached

Rate this thread: